Vacancies: Board members (non-executive)
The Maghreb Economic Forum (MEF) is a think and do tank promoting the economic cooperation of the Maghreb region as a vehicle for transformation of the region. The MEF was founded in 2011 in Geneva by Kamel Lazaar to facilitate regional representation at the Board. A Tunisian association was launched with the same name in 2012 to manage MEF’s activities.
MEF has succeeded in building a strong reputation and practical track record in the last 9 years thanks to the efforts and contribution of the current president of MEF Tunisia and its co-founder Slim Othmani and later and starting from 2015, to the instrumental role that Amel Karboul has played both as Secretary General and as well as board member to date in connecting with international foundations and helping to secure institutional building support and funding.
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the support of some of our major partners; the BMW foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Konrad Adenauer Stiftung and the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) who contributed in supporting MEF’s capacity building and activities development.
We now are prioritising ambitious plans to diversify our projects and activities, expand our staff team and improve our governance processes.
As part of this stage of development we are expanding our Board. We are looking for non-executive directors/ trustees to inform and shape the strategic direction of MEF in the medium to long term.
Board members are voluntary and unremunerated. The estimate time commitment required is attendance at around four meetings a year, as well as (optional) monthly one-to-one advisory conversations with the executive team if that is something you would like to do.
Key responsibilities of the Board include:
- Working with the President and other Board members on strategic development;
- Contributing to the governance, strategic growth and financial oversight of the organisation;
- Acting as an ambassador for our work and advising on programs, projects or internal priorities which are relevant to your fields of expertise and interest;
- Providing specific guidance and support to the small executive team, drawing on your professional insights and experience.
We are looking for individuals who believe in the Maghreb potential and would like to contribute in creating an impact in that regard, who understand the pressures faced by a small think-tank organisation, and who are able to think creatively and ambitiously about the opportunities for MEF to grow and increase our impact. We’d love to work with people who can demonstrate:
- A professional track record in policy and research, communications, public engagement, or finance roles;
- A flexible, creative and empathetic mindset;
- Experience working in or with business, consultancies, charities, social enterprise, the public sector, the creative industries or academia;
- Insights relating to governance and strategy;
- Either first-hand experience or an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a non-executive board member;
- A good understanding of MEF’s purpose and objectives, and enthusiasm for our mission.
Start dates: TBC
Location: Three out of the four yearly board meetings as well as the one-to-one advisory conversations with the executive team will be held online. One board meeting will be held in MEF’s headquarter.
Contract terms: Voluntary, non-executive role
Salary: Voluntary and unremunerated
Application details: Please send an email about your interests and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the call: MEF Board Vacancies